calm . clean . smart . loyal . deep
Photo credits: please click images for source
Let’s examine the Blue in “Love in Blue”.
The meaning of Blue from http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html:
Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.
Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.
You can use blue to promote products and services related to cleanliness (water purification filters, cleaning liquids, vodka), air and sky (airlines, airports, air conditioners), water and sea (sea voyages, mineral water). As opposed to emotionally warm colors like red, orange, and yellow; blue is linked to consciousness and intellect. Use blue to suggest precision when promoting high-tech products.
Blue is a masculine color; according to studies, it is highly accepted among males. Dark blue is associated with depth, expertise, and stability; it is a preferred color for corporate America.
Avoid using blue when promoting food and cooking, because blue suppresses appetite. When used together with warm colors like yellow or red, blue can create high-impact, vibrant designs; for example, blue-yellow-red is a perfect color scheme for a superhero.
Light blue is associated with health, healing, tranquility, understanding, and softness.
Dark blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness.’
Language of Blue
Here’s a take on the Language of Blue from About.com by Jacci Howard Bear:
- Bluestocking – well-read or scholarly woman
- Bluebook – register of socially prominent people
- The Blues (capitalized) – popular style of music sometimes characterized by melancholy melodies and words
- Baby blues – Blue eyes (also see Bad blue words)
- Feeling blue – feeling sad or depressed
- Blue devils – feelings of depression
- The blues (not capitalized) – depression, state of sadness
- Blue Monday – feeling sad
- Baby blues – post-partum depression
- Singing the blues – bemoaning one’s circumstances
- Blue laws – laws originally intended to enforce certain moral standards
- Blue language – profanity
- Bluenose – puritanical individual
- Into the blue – entering the unknown or escape to parts unknown
- Out of the blue – unexpected (could be positive or negative)
Blue Words: These words are synonymous with blue or represent various shades of the color blue.
Sapphire, azure, beryl, cerulean, cobalt, indigo, navy, royal, sky blue, baby blue, robin’s egg blue, cyan, cornflower blue, midnight blue, slate, steel blue, Prussian blue.
Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
The blue in this Old English wedding poem stands for purity, love, and fidelity.
Blue Things to Love
Pretty Blue Dresses
Blue Interior Accents
Tropical Blue Waters
Blue Jeans at Work (I Wish!)